Thursday 24 May 2012

Anything is Possible!

The title of this latest update is the Ironman motto, it's just one source of motivation, one tool out of many memories, images, items and mantras that I use when I cant be arsed or feel like calling it a day. This last week I have used most of them as I strive to discover the physical limitations enforced on me by my injury.

When the Doctor confirmed my breaks and slapped me in a cast I did think my dream was about to disappear.  It would have been easy then to call it a day, to put the dream on hold for another year. This is where motivational tools came in handy, they will be different for each person and what forces one person off the settee may force another on it.

In a bid to assist readers in finding their own motivation I thought I would share some of mine. The first comes in the form of this Ironman Wales sun visor, I bought it last year to wear on the Marathon section. As I missed the cut off I did not get to wear it and have vowed that I wont until the Marathon leg of this years race.

Second is the memory of Leighton Williams, a fellow club member passing me on the bike during of last years race, I was about 70miles through the 112mile bike leg and he was about to start the run, 40miles in front although we had started the day at the same time! When in passing I mentioned that I might miss the cut off he turned and 'whispered' words of encouragement like a seasoned Army drill instructor!! Many of these words can not be repeated in this forum but the scene, replayed in my mind, often fuels me when things are getting tough. I should also mention that Leighton went on to have a cracking race, even though he came off his bike and broke bones he continued, narrowly missing out on qualifying for the World Ironman Championship in Hawaii in the process. An Ironman in every definition of the word.

The last tool I will mention today can not be underrated, it is without doubt my greatest source of inspiration and motivation, Friends and Family. Without their support there would be no point in registering for such an event, since my accident I have been inundated with words of encouragement and promising ideas. Fellow Tri'ers have reassured me that there will be plenty of time to be race fit and my wife has been immense in planning the family Summer holiday around the forced adjustment to my training program. Without her support and patience I would be lost.

It’s surprising the things you learn about yourself when the use of a limb becomes restricted.
  • I can run 6mile without pain.
  • But I can't tie my trainer laces properly to go out running.
  • I can make and butter a piece of toast.
  • But I can't open a tin of beans to put on it.
  • I can wash my Left armpit.
  • But I can't wash my Right.
  • I can sit upright on a spinning bike.
  • But I can't lean on the bars.
  • I can wash my car.
  • But I can't drive it.
As you can see from the above, I can still do quite a bit of physical preparation for the race, the domestic side of life is very frustrating though. I am however being very careful that I don't do anything that will hinder my recovery as I really need to get back on the bike and out on the roads (I am also losing a fortune in allowances in work and want to get back as soon as I can). Its also made me spare a thought for the Guys and Gals returning from conflict abroad with permanent disabilities.

Finally a big shout out to my Brother in-law Paul Seppman, completing his first open water Triathlon last weekend in Llanelli. 6 months ago he was struggling to swim in a pool yet he finished the race in a very respectable time and smashed the swim leg. Not wanting to be outdone by her brother my truly amazing wife went one step further, not only pipping him across the finish line but by winning a spot on the podium (3rd fastest Female in the over 40 category). Well done Both, very proud of you.

1 comment:

  1. Well Done - you can do it. Just keep 'hacking' away at the training miles. With the weather as it is hope you've got the turbo in the garden...
    Good luck

    ReplyDelete