Thursday 17 May 2012

Thrills and Spills

Its been a couple of weeks since my last update, please accept my apologies.

In my last blog I mentioned about being back in training after my operation to have two varicose veins removed. My running was getting back up to speed, work on endurance saw me happily running 7 hilly miles and feeling ready for more once home.

Last weekend I took part in the Tour of Pembroke, the first of the hurdles I had set for myself on my road to upgrade my half Ironman status to full. This race takes in 75mile of some of the best countryside that Wales has to offer, truly fantastic on a sunny.  Fortunate for those taking part that it was just one of these days and armed with my new bike (which I have fallen in love with) about 12 Celtic tri'ers congregated in St Davids main car park, next to the race HQ.

Timing tag swiped and it was time for the off, I had chosen to ride with my ESW (see past Blogs) and my Sister in law, neither of whom had completed such a hilly ride before. The day for me was not about the distance as I knew this was not a problem. The problems and demons derive from hills, they are after all the main reason that I missed the cut off at Ironman Wales last year. This day at climbs I would leave the girls and give it my all to see if the weight loss and strength work would pay off. I am pleased to report that the hills (Some with 25deg incline) held no problem, in fact they were a massive confidence booster.....especially the last hill of the day (For me anyway!).

At the route 26 mile mark there is one of the steepest, longest climbs of the day, 838ft of climbing to be precise. I rounded the corner to be met by a friend who sadly could not race, wondering what words of wisdom he would hurl my way (And wondering if after 24 years in the Navy if I would hear any new ones!!!) I lost concentration and as the road became steeper I failed to react quick enough, I was too slow out of the saddle and too slow to select the correct gear, the result.......  a fractured elbow and wrist.

Gutted!
Adrenaline is a funny old thing however as I got back on the bike and made the climb. At the time I thought the pain would wear off, how wrong can a man be and the best tool to highlight this came in the form of a cattle grid. As I rumbled over the grid I think I screamed so load my teeth were going to come out as every rut caused my elbow to jar. The main reason for calling it a day was my inability to squeeze the rear brake and in hindsight, now knowing what damage I had done it was a great decision. I must admit I was terribly gutted at the time and even more so when the results of the x-ray were announced.

Its really thrown a spanner in the works for me, I refuse to let IMW beat me again and due to this a am trying to remain positive. I know with the support of friends and family it is still possible but it is hard at times to remain upbeat, especially as I know that I have a minimum of 6 weeks in a cast (I know of people who have had the same problem and its taken 12!!).

Making the most of a bad situation I have set myself some goals/targets:-
  • Lose a minimum of 6lbs 
  • Do what I can, when I can (Spinning, walking and not getting frustrated that I have to ask ESW to undo the lids on just about everything in the house!!)
  • Have another article posted in Triathlon 220 magazine

As for Ever Suffering Wife and Sister in-law, well they were awesome. Both finished looking as fresh as daisies (Ok maybe not!) but both can hold their heads high for completing what was undoubtedly the hardest Sportive on the scene. Well done Ladies, very proud of you x x x 

Finally good luck to my spell checker JC (Where are you when I need you!!) who is about to tame the Lanzarote Ironman (Answers my last question!) and GD who will be kicking the famous Lance Armstrong's butt in Miami.........Smash it lads!!!

2 comments:

  1. What was your first articular Rob? And when was it in the 220?

    ReplyDelete
  2. May 2012, Edition 272

    An article entitled 'Brunt love'. His column is very funny and its always the first thing I read.

    ReplyDelete