Wednesday 13 June 2012

Nothing Great Is Easy

The last seven days have been full of ups and downs (Especially Sunday but I will talk about that later). The night of my last post (Wednesday) I donned my trainers and headed out for a 6/7 mile trot. Three mile into a hilly run I felt a dull throb originating from my lower calf area, initially I carried on thinking that it may go but it persisted. Rather than push it and possibley do more damage I phoned Mrs Taming Tenby to come and pick me up......gutted and worried that it would spoil my training plan.

Rest, Ice, Compress and Elevated (Think the 'C' would be better off standing for curry!) as soon as I got home, even recruited my 8 year old son Jack to use a rolling pin on the area to massage it (Don't knock it till you've tried it). After a good nights sleep it was still tight but not that sore, further rest and stretching was required so decided it was best to have a couple of days off.

Jack
I was really looking forward to the Friday, we had booked accommodation in Tenby for the start of the Activity Wales Events organised Long Course Weekend. The weekend is kicked off with a race for the kids (Otherwise known as 'Taffletes'!) followed then by the big boys and girls having a 2.4 mile swim on Tenby's iconic North beach, a 112 mile bike ride on Saturday through the picturesque county of Pembrokeshire, finely concluding on Sunday with a Marathon. You will all be pleased to hear at this stage that shorter distances are available for each event and as my planned swim and bike ride were cancelled due to my arm being in plaster I signed up for the half marathon...sore calf and all.

Mike and Tara before realising how
cold the water is!
Although it was frustrating not being able to take part in Friday and Saturdays activities I still had loads of fun spectating, joining the other supporters, locals and tourists alike, in cheering the Athletes taking part. Both of these days I had work done on my injury by Sue, from Bodyworks Soft Tissue Therapy and at £10 for 20mins was exceptional value. If it were not for he healing feet (Read about her here) I doubt if I would have made the start line on Sunday.

The Half Marathon started at Noon with the athletes 'holding pen' being Pembroke castle, not a bad location eh! We were led out by a drum band prior to the start which really got the adrenaline pumping, couple this with athletes doing the full marathon running past and we were all raring to go. The first Six miles went well and were completed in 56mins, good going for me considering it was far more 'undulating' than I expected (I refer you back to the title). It was shortly after this point however that my calf tightened and turned the remaining miles into a walk/run/yomp. The support from the people of Pembs was incredible along the route and for this they must be commended. Many were sat at the end of their driveways, pubs and street corners, tea in hand (Some cruel souls lifted stronger beverages!) cheering and clapping as you ran past, kids wanting 'high fives' and really getting into the spirit of things.


Nothing could have prepared me for the final leg into Tenby however. For the last 600 yards or so the crowd were three deep lining the streets, cheering every finisher as if he/she were the first home. The Party atmosphere heavy in the air, rounds of applause coupled with words of encouragement erased any pain as I crossed the line. Still amazed now as I expect all who travelled to Tenby still are.

The weekend has inspired me to add another 'Tab' or page if you like, to my blog. This will contain links to organisations other than my sponsors, ones who deliver a first class service or product and come with a Taming Tenby recommendation.

The first of these to be added are Bodyworks for putting the customer first, I felt my treatment on both occasions ran over the allotted time but continued until all that could be done to my injury was done.

Secondly Activity Wales Events for a first class weekend and yet another well organised, well planned event. One that with the continued support of the Pembs community will no doubt expand, bringing tourists flocking to this area of natural beauty in order to witness first hand, the outstanding Pembrokeshire welcome.




No comments:

Post a Comment