Thursday 28 June 2012

So Excited I Could Wee! (Or is it just an age thing?)

Well.....well, well, well oh well. Big day today for two reasons, firstly because about an hour ago I got to plug my fundraising efforts for the RNLI on 96.4FM The Wave, South Wales Number 1 radio station. Badger and Emma do a great job of hosting the breakfast program and I often find myself in fits of laughter (Badger & Emma reading 50 Shades of Grey in different stylies is hysterical!) but there was no laughter this morning, not from me anyway. Even though I am use to speaking in front of large groups and briefing High Ranking Military staff for some reason I was very very nervous and while on air, all I could hear in my ear was the stream of text messages arriving. Most are not printable here but did make me giggle. Anyway, I hope I achieved the aim which was to plug my cause, my sponsors and get details of how people can sponsor me out there....... time will tell how effective the latter was. A mahoosive thank you to Amanda and Andrew Gilbert for making it happen and Badger and Emma for putting up with my mumblings.

Even the car air fresheners failed to take the odour away!
Secondly my cast finally comes off today (yeyyyyy!). Really hoping after the x-ray that is does not need to go back on, training for the big day is hard enough as it is. If it does I will not give up though, just means I will have to be more imaginative when it comes to training. Better to tri and fail than never tri at all (See what I did there. Clever No?)

Not too sure what to expect my arm to look like and I am wondering whether to warn the Nurse that something(s) may jump out at her once she has cut it off. It's now so bad that when in the car with Mrs Taming Tenby I have to hang my arm out of the window, this helps to stop the windows from steaming up and allow other passengers to breath.

So here ends Part one of this blog.........of to the Hospital :-/

Part two.......

They were waiting for me! 'Ahhh Robert' the receptionist in the fracture clinic cried, 'We were wondering when you would turn up......what's this you have been running with your arm in plaster!!' Think the only person in the Hospital not to have listened to The Wave that morning was the Dr himself..........Doh!!

Off came the plaster and I am pleased to report that there was no re-enactment similar to the scene in 'Aliens' where some horrid creature bursts through the skin, indeed there was no creepy crawlies or dead things, in fact it was quite clean.......WHITE CLEAN! Pasty White clean, Pasty White clean and skinny! (Thank god for teenagers and fake tan!!)


Matthew
Confirmation received that the plaster would not go back on it was then off to North Dock to meet a fellow CELTIC TRI club member Matthew Anderson and get my toes wet. Pleased to report that the swim went well with only slight pain. Think this was caused because of the wrists stiffness through lack of use as its getting better and better as the day goes on. 1000meters was far enough for my first swim back, especially as it was a wetsuit swim. From experience the muscles around the shoulders and arms get use to swimming again pretty quickly so I feel quite relaxed about this part of my training. Only main problem today was trying to swim in a straight line, again this will be down to a weak left arm. Plan is to have another dip first thing tomorrow morning.

One area that now concerns me is getting back out on the roads. This has nothing to do with a fear of a further fall, its more to do with the vibration that the road will cause and how my arm will cope with it. I am currently in two minds......carry on training on the turbo for another week or just crack on and give it a go. Just know the more I think about it the call of 'Take me out to play' coming from the garage will get louder and louder.

One last thing before I go and change the rear wheel on my bike (Ok, Ok.......its just in case!). Make sure you revisit this page again.......may have some good news for all the readers.


I'm BACK!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Honestly. One arm looks bigger than the other

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rob, great blog as ever, glad your back in full training, and hey 1000m swim aint bad going for someone who's been resting up! anyway glad you had your spot on the radio, and I hope the dosh starts rolling in soon. keep it up and hope we can get out on the bike soon, probably thinking end of July for a long ride up Blcwh, should get you in shape for Tenby.

    ReplyDelete