Thursday 7 June 2012

Why?

My injury is still precluding an early return to work and the elbow has been very sore. Hoping this is where the bone is knitting together and its just weak. Still unable to use a knife and fork at the same time but my grip is getting stronger. Eating in public can be a little embarrassing, especially when you're asking your 8 year old to cut your food up for you!!!


Its been a good week training wise, my running continues to improve and I have been mixing long slow plods with short quick sprints. Still plodding away on the turbo trainer but it would be great to get out on the roads. Sadly, and just to be on the safe side, I phoned Mrs Taming Tenby to pick me up last night. At the 3 mile mark I pulled up after feeling a slight pull in my lower right calf muscle, iced it the minute I got home and after a good going over with a rolling pin its not too bad today. Although I stretched prior to running I think I now need to incorporate a more dynamic approach to this very important part of my training.

Julie making it look easy!
Karen's sprint finish 
Good to see so many athletes from the club race the Brecon Sprint triathlon last weekend. So many in fact that an outsider would not have been blamed for mistaking Celtic as the home tri club. The constant threat of rain in the air failed to materialise and condition were ideal. With a constant ringing in my ears from the cow bells I had issued to the kids I watch with pride as fellow members hurtled past me. Its hard being sidelined, listening to tales of 'The steps of doom!' and who did what it is definitely second best to racing. Special mentions this week go to the Celtic tri ladies, many of whom overcame the course and completed their first race. Well done ladies, some fantastic efforts and more females that I need to worry about 'Chicking' me!


So to address the title of this latest update......Why? Why would I, or anyone for that matter, want to become an Ironman? Why would anyone want to spend months watching what they are eating and drinking? (I need to be more rigid with the latter!) Why would anyone want to get up at the crack of dawn, swim or beat the streets for an hour, then spend all day in work pretending that you feel fresh as a daisy when in fact all you want is your bed, to then get home and go out training again.


TJ 
You could most probably ask 100 Ironmen this very question, with each one returning a very different answer. My reasons are quite simple, first and foremost its the kudos, a couple of months of pain, a lifetimes with of bragging. Marathon runners are now two-a-penny, how many non Triathletes reading this know a marathon runner? Now how many know an Ironman? 




Secondly it will be the end of a journey, going from a 20+ stone smoker due for a knee operation, too unfit to run a single mile without stopping, to completing 2.4 miles of swimming, 112 miles of cycling and 26.4 miles of running......all within 17 hours. 


Finally to go back to Brecon, let me introduce TJ our current club Chairman. If you ever needed inspiration to get up off the settee and be active today here it is, crossing the finish line to a chorus of 'Happy Birthday'. Hope I am doing simular when I am 60 years young!

Until next time..........

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good PMA bud, can't wait to see you smashing it up on an already infamous IM track...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rob, this has to be your best blog to date. Loving the why! its the same for me, and I hope you return to full strength soon. Bank this particular period of your training as a low point, and imagine how epic your going to feel in Tenby as you nail this event. Amanda & I will be there cheering you on [cow bells an all].

    Please let me know if you want to venture out on a long ride or run at any point, and I'll be there [weather permitting and household chores].

    Well done, chin up

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete